Thursday 10 January 2013

Mini Review #3 - Not Worth 50 Cents


50 Cent - “In Da Club”
        I dislike this song and its music video immensely. The song is bad enough on its own. I personally can’t stand rap because it sounds like someone mumbling inappropriate nonsense to a repetitive beat. To me, this is exactly what 50 Cent is doing. I can barely understand what he is saying and the few words I do catch I wish I hadn’t. He also repeats the same two lines over and over again which quickly gets irritating. The song isn’t catchy either. I don’t like a lot of other songs like “Call Me Maybe” and “Teenage Dreams” but they still get stuck in my head. “In Da Club” doesn’t even manage that. The morals expressed in the song and video are also horrible. 50 Cent states, “I’m in to having sex, I’m not in to making love”. That’s a terrible and heartless thing to say, and is not an honourable moral to live by. The video is also 80% provocatively dancing women with very little clothing on. That is giving girls a bad image and not something I particularly want to watch. I don’t think 50 Cent should be promoting morals like this. Lastly, I find the music video ridiculous. It is based around 50 Cent being a specially designed ‘artist’ created by a team of scientists. This idea could have been interesting (even though I don’t know what the scientists were thinking) if the video had consisted of more than him working out and partying with half-naked girls. There are maybe four shots actually involving the scientists. The partying and working out doesn’t even make sense because if he is supposed to be a manufactured singer, then why does he need to be incredibly muscular or good at sitting down drinking alcohol? I suspect this is because he wanted lots of shots of himself without a shirt on and an image of being a ‘fun’ guy. The irritating music, disgusting morals and annoying video all combine to make me loathe this song.
Gross and unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment