Thursday 10 January 2013

Mini Review #4 - Frankenweenie - Shockingly Good

Frankenweenie (Original)
        I enjoyed the short film Frankenweenie a lot. Much like Edward Scissorhands, the amazing dark yet whimsical settings were courtesy of director Tim Burton. Great sets include the foggy pet graveyard and the attic with the crazy contraption (including live fish and lightning) used to resurrect Sparky. The sets are dark and weird but also very captivating.
2012 version of the attic contraption - very similar to the original
Next, I liked the main theme expressed in the movie. The film focused on the idea that being different or ‘weird’ is a good thing. Sparky tries to fit in after having been brought back to life, and his owner, Victor, even has trouble fitting it. Both characters are actually really nice but are distrusted because of their strangeness. I like this theme because I completely agree that being weird isn’t a bad thing. I’m a bit different and most of my friends are, so I see nothing wrong with it. I like that Tim Burton conveys that through his film. Finally, I loved the ending of Frankenweenie. It ended happily with everyone working together to revive Sparky, and he even got a girlfriend. I can’t stand endings that don’t tie everything up, so I’m thrilled that the end was so neatly wrapped up. It’s also hard to hate a happy ending, and the reunion between Victor and Sparky was absolutely heart-warming. Frankenweenie’s excellence is due to its ‘Burtonesque’ settings, great theme, and happy and conclusive ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment