Thursday 10 January 2013

Mini Review #5 - Memento - Ironically Memorable


Memento
        In my opinion, Memento was a good movie. I usually enjoy mysteries, so I really enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on and what would happen next. The backward, flashback-like format was very confusing, but this just made it more fun to try and predict things. It was so engaging that it bothered me to have to wait a day until I could figure out what was going to happen. I love stories, whether books or movies, that make you think, and understanding Memento took a lot of brainpower. The idea of the film was also great. Having a guy that can’t remember events from just minutes ago was really cool and allowed for all sorts of interesting scenes. There were hilarious scenes like when the hotel manager tells the protagonist, Leonard, that he is charging him for two rooms because he won’t remember anyways, and intense scenes like when Natalie screams insults at Leonard but he can’t find anything to write it down with so he forgets and kills Dodd for her.
WARNING - THIS CLIP CONTAINS A LOT OF BAD LANGUAGE
The movie’s story may be disturbing, confusing, and violent but it certainly isn’t boring. Another great aspect was the twist ending of Leonard actually having lied to himself to go after Teddy, and the explanation that he had killed his own wife. I was not at all expecting that so it made me rethink the whole movie. I love endings that mess up everything you thought before. It was very exciting and afterwards I wanted to go through the whole movie again to pick out all of the clues leading to the truth. Overall I thought Memento was a wonderful mystery movie with a great plot and unexpected finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment